Thursday, June 4, 2015

A Country Cottage Kitchen Makeover



I had the pleasure of re-designing this kitchen and bringing it up-to-date! I wanted it to have a country cottage feel. 


This kitchen was screaming for help!!! It was stuck in the 1970's. Funnily enough
a lot of the style from back then is very popular right now, but somehow I don't think this kitchen makes that list! Take the Tiffany light shade for example...don't you LOVE how it cascades along the ceiling then drapes down the wall? Just teasing!! Haha! Yes it's definitely in much need for an update don't you think?




The linoleum floor had just about had it!! A recent problem with moisture had left a terrible stain and wasn't a pretty sight! I carefully reviewed the space asking lots of questions as to what my clients wants and needs were, then went to work on it! she had told me that they hadn't really done anything since they bought the home in the 70's!

Shown below is a great example!


Ahhh.....don't you just love that wallpaper and the shag pile carpet? Amazing how they  decorated/designed back then isn't it? I remember my mum having carpet in the bathroom, not shag pile though, but fear not!!! We are about to change these two spaces and bring them up to date!

There's a couple of things that would have made the space so much more aesthetically pleasing, such as stainless steal appliances, but we have to consider the client's budget. I made sure that they still worked well in the space. She will no doubt change them out in the future! Hey, they don't make them like they used to! She has had this for 15 years!


Now the fun stuff! We found a granite that she liked, then went from there! This granite has lovely warm tones, so it was easy to choose a paint color, back splash and flooring! 

The tile we chose is gorgeous! It has lots of cream tones and interesting details and matches perfectly with the granite, wall and cabinets.
We chose a beautiful hardwood and the tone is perfect!



I debated back and forth between painting the cabinets with chalk paint or latex, but finally decided on the latex, but I wanted something similar to Annie Sloan's Old Ochre, so I searched the internet and came across this comparison.

The color I used on the wall, shown below was Oat Straw by Benjamin Moore.


I used:
  SW Kilim Beige 6106 or Behr Pecan Sandie 700C-3 on the cabinets.
It is very similar in color to Annie Sloan's Old Ochre and worked perfect! You can see the color below on the Behr website and below on the doors!


We all like to save money right? If you have nice looking vintage pieces, don't get rid of them, paint them! That's what I did to the hardware for the cabinets and drawers. I used Rust-oleum's oil rubbed bronze.


BEFORE



AFTER


Let's talk about the ceiling!
There was a lot going on here! As soon as you entered the room all you could see were all of these fixtures. The space was too small for such a lot going on so I hired an electrician to come and update the electrical system. My client still wanted a fan in the kitchen so I had her choose a smaller fan in white with a more modern feel, then had them put a recessed light above the stove to give it a cleaner look. We removed the Tiffany fixture and the lovely chain and added a pretty drum chandelier. Now the ceiling is NOT the focal point when you walk in the room!


AFTER


I wanted to see a two tone table and chairs in this space. We found the perfect set! 


The rug is a lovely sage green with hints of cream and brown, a perfect contrast with the floor.




BEFORE & AFTER








The drum pendant is casual, yet has a touch of elegance.



I did the same in the half bath adjacent to the kitchen to keep the flow. I gave the mirror a makeover by painting it the same color as the cabinets. Simple and clean!




 BEFORE & AFTER




The best part......



No, thank you Nora for allowing me to come into your home and trusting in me to bring my vision for your space alive! I hope you enjoy it for years to come xx

To my husband, I thank you so much for helping me with the cabinets!

Have a great weekend!

Shirley x

Linking up to:

9 comments:

  1. Shirley!!!! This is absolutely amazing. You did such a wonderful job!!! Wow- HGTV needs to hire you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, ha ha, thank you Sarah! That WOULD be amazing!!

      Delete
  2. This is lovely Shirley, really good work xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the makeover. Where did you get the table and chairs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I believe it was Haynes Furniture, I'll double check!

      Delete
  4. Unbelievable make over. Excellent use of color, stunning backsplash, gorgeous outcome.
    I would never think of using those colors and I am really attracted by the result. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete

Follow me