Sunday, May 11, 2014

Pottery Barn Inspired Beach Sign



I recently saw this amazing beach sign on Pottery Barn's web page and wanted it for my wall above my TV.  I'm doing a gallery wall around my TV and thought this would be a great place to start. They didn't have it in the store, but I could have ordered it. It was $59 plus $11 for shipping and handling, a grand total of $70! I thought that was a little too much so I decided to have a go at making it myself.


MINE
Total ... $18.52 

YOU WILL NEED
 A 4'x 8" plank of pine wood
 8' of rope
 1 can of stain 
 One pack of  D ring hooks to hang your art
 5" stencils
 Paint for stencils
Small paint brush
Cut two blocks of wood  3" x 8" for the back. (furring strip}



Start by lightly sanding the rough areas of the wood, dust off, then start staining with a soft cloth till you get the color you want!


I actually had the paint and  the stencils, but it would only cost about $8 more! You can buy a little bottle of craft paint for 50 cents and usually the craft stores have a coupon for 40% off for the stencils. They also give military discount at A.C Moore's.

Cut your rope in half, then tie a square knot evenly in the middle. Place it at the end of the board  leaving about 2 inches on each end then hot glue it in place.


Bring the rope around the back to meet then cut the excess rope. Hot glue it in place.


Now you are ready to nail the wood in place! I just butted it up against the rope and nailed it in place.


I decided not to stain the back, but you may want to.


Next step: Place your stencils where you want them to be. Using a small brush or stencil brush, paint your letters on. You can tape them on or have someone help you out by holding them!


I wanted my letters to look just like the Pottery barn beach house sign so I filled in the gaps!





 Take a piece of sand paper and lightly sand over the words just to give it an old worn out beachy look!


That's really all there is to it! Now it's ready to hang. I LOVE how it turned out!



It's a work in progress! Please stop by soon for more details on how I will complete my gallery wall with more Diy projects!




Thanks for stopping by!
Have a great week. :)

I linked up at...

Just a Girl and Her Blog

22 comments:

  1. Absolutely charming! I'm trying to get all the beach decor ideas I can for my new home. We'll be moving 8 blocks off the coast of Lake Michigan. Thanks for the inspiration and the tutorial. -Bev p.s. I'm pinning it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bev! Good luck in your new home! It sounds lovely! : )

      Delete
  2. What a great knock off! Thanks for sharing at The Makers, pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie! Thank you for hosting such a great party! : )

      Delete
  3. Hi Shirley. I love your beach sign! In fact, I like yours better than the Pottery Barn version. Wanted to let you know that your project will be featured at The Scoop tomorrow night. Thank you for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzy, What a lovely compliment! I'm so excited to be featured at The Scoop! Have a great week. : )

      Delete
  4. Love how this turned out! This is one of my "Knockouts" from last week's Hit Me With Your Best Shot party! Thanks SO much for linking up & I hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelly! Thank you for the feature! Have a great week.

      Delete
  5. What an AWESOME knock off. Thanks for the easy-peasy tutorial!!! I This is an amazing sign!!! Kudos to you!!!
    Pinning and featuring you on my fb page!!! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Yvonne! I'm honored to be featured on your page and thanks for pinning it! Have a great week! x

      Delete
  6. Great tutorial!! Love it!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sign just turned out soo cute...love the knotted rope on the ends:) Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love love love this, Shirley!! I want one for my house! So glad to see it at our party! XO XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Shirley! Just stopping back by to let you know I chose this as one of my feature picks. You can see it tomorrow! Thanks again for sharing at our knock off themed party!! XO XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you tell me the color stain you used?

    ReplyDelete

Follow me